ShaperSpeaks

Welcome to ShaperSpeaks, where we empower through Music, Movement, and Media!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Tell Me I Can't, I Will

In the spring of 2000 I competed in the C.A.A Conference Track and Field Championships. I was favored to win the high jump however I was placed in the long jump as well to try and help my team. I was a novice who was jumping against the reigning conference champion in the event. After two less then stellar attempts I had one jump left. As I prepared while watching the champ finish is final jump I was told by a teammate that my coach had mentioned to him that I had "done a great job but there was no way he would beat the reigning champ."  Hearing this my entire demeanor changed.  I was a humble athlete but in my mind I could beat anybody in anything I competed in; on any day of the week. And I needed him and everybody in that stadium to know that. I got so angry I don't even think I waited to count out all of the proper steps... for the final attempt. When my name was called I ran straight for the long jump pit and although my leg had been hurting on and off throughout the day I was determined to jump further than anybody else had that day. As I took off I watched as I cleared the mark jumped by the reigning champ on the previous jump.  Even before I'd landed I knew I had won. From that day forward my philosophy became:
                                                  "Tell me it can't be done, I'll do it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment